I might be doing this a little out of the norm but I’ve been super slow to get on the bandwagon so I decided to make up the days I have missed all in one nice long post! Thanks to Abbey@ThreeCatsandaGirl for the amazing idea because I LOVE Christmas so much!!
Day 1: Christmas Lights
When I think of Christmas lights, I think of the beautiful Christmas tree all lit up. There is nothing more peaceful than sitting by the Christmas tree when it is all it up. I love the lights so much that my tree goes up November 1st every year. That way I get to enjoy the wonderful lights (and tree) for as long as I can!
Day 2: Ugly Christmas Sweaters
I LOVE ugly Christmas sweaters!! Being a teacher, I have my fair share of sweaters I’ve collected over the last few years. As of now, I have about 7 sweaters that I wear the whole week leading up to Christmas. On top of ugly sweaters, my favorite Christmas attire I own and proudly wear is a candy cane dress! I love to wear my dress with one of my sweaters on top to double the Christmas cheer.
Day 3: Winter Must Haves
As a girl growing up in Minnesota winter must haves are more like October-beginning of May must haves. The weather can be very unpredictable from day to day that you need to be prepared for anything at any time. That being said, some major winter must haves would have to be:
- A LARGE and insulated jacket is a NEED when the temperature can be -5 degrees in the morning and maybe rise to 10 degrees by the afternoon.
- UGG boots. You’re not a Minnesota girl if you don’t own a pair to wear with almost anything in the winter. They keep your feet warm during all occasions.
- Regular boots to wear if you want to try to “dress up” at all or look somewhat put together. Wearing flats and sandals will NOT cut it.
- 10+ pairs of leggings. You cannot go out outside with bare legs 9 months of the year so leggings is an essential part of your wardrobe.
- SNOW!! When people think of Minnesota they think of a winter wonderland but that is not true. Our temperatures fluctuate so much that we could get snow in October but a week later it’s all gone. We don’t get a true snow storm that stays until January at the earliest. We usually get our most intense storms in March when Mother Nature doesn’t know what to do with us. There is nothing like a huge dump of fresh snow in the winter.
Day 4: Annual Ornaments
Every year, since my sister and I were very young, my mom would buy us an “ornament of the year.” It’s amazing to look back and see what I chose when I was 9 compared to when I was 13 and so forth. On top of that, every year I go to our local coffee shop and buy a coffee cup shaped ornament. They come out with a new one every year and I have one from every Christmas since they started the tradition.
The most important ornament tradition for my family though would be the Hallmark Barbie ornaments. Growing up, my grandma would buy my mom and my aunt the Barbie of the year ornament and that would always be their Christmas gift. I LOVED putting up our tree every year because my sister and I would put all of my mom’s Barbie ornaments on the bottom of the tree so we could play with them with our real Barbies. I loved it so much that I could not wait until I was an official adult to start my own collection. Unfortunately, my grandma passed away before that Christmas. My mom knew how much I was looking forward to being part of the family tradition that she walked in her mother’s footsteps and bought me my own Barbie ornament. Those are definitely my favorite and one of my favorite parts of Christmas.
This is my absolute favorite time of the year and I plan to be much better at posting these wonderful and fun days of Christmas. Haha hopefully I can do better but realistically, I’ll probably get too busy and end up doing all of this again! 🙂